Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Scratch It Harder

After my shift (and three Billies) I started to leave the bar and head home. I made a pit stop at my local liquor store to replenish my dwindling beer stock at home and honestly, could not believe what I was seeing.

There was this older gentleman that looked to be in his 70s. He had brown polyester pants that crept up above his waist line and a light mustard colored shirt that was neatly tucked inside the pants. His hair was all salt (probably no pepper for years) and it was neatly combed over his scalp from the right to the left. He made his way up to the counter before I managed to make my way up there. He purchased six $1 lottery tickets and went over to the other side of the counter to begin scratching. And, when I say scratching I mean a wild fast approach to scratch tickets. He had a nickel out and the first one was scratched before I could even realize what he was doing. By the time I had paid for my beer, all six were scratched and he was standing behind me to redeem what he had won only to use his winnings to purchase more tickets.

Now, this guy was definitely not looking for a hand out from Gates. This guy was going to gamble, collect his winnings, and reinvest. I wanted to stay and continue to watch the process. How long would his luck last? The cold beer in my hand seemed to sound more entertaining though and I drove back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment